Asphalt driveways can take a beating from the sun, weather, and cars. Over time, this can cause the surface to become rough and pitted. Fortunately, there’s an easy solution: sanding your asphalt. Here are five reasons why it helps compiled by the asphalt installation and maintenance experts:
1. Helps to Fill in Ugly Cracks and Holes
Seal coating is not the only asphalt repair solution. If you have cracks or holes in your asphalt, sand can help fill them in. This is especially important in the winter when water can seep into cracks and cause further damage.
2. Increases Your Surface’s Strength and Life Expectancy
By regularly sanding your asphalt, you can make it last longer. Sanding removes damaged asphalt and smoothens the surface. The smoother surface is more resistant to weathering and wear-and-tear.
3. Improves the Aesthetics of Your Asphalt Surface
Everyone wants to enhance their curb appeal. If you want your asphalt to look its best, sanding is a great way to achieve that. Sanding helps asphalt retain its original color and blacktop appearance. As asphalt ages, it can become faded or patchy. Sanding evens out the color and gives the asphalt a fresh look.
4. Improves Safety for Cars and Pedestrians
If your asphalt is cracked or uneven, it can pose a safety hazard. Sanding helps level out the surface, making it safer for pedestrians and vehicles.
5. Improves Traction
Sanding can help increase traction and prevent accidents if your asphalt is slick. An asphalt installed in an area prone to ice or snow requires frequent maintenance.
Sanding Installation – A Guide
If your asphalt requires instant repair, sanding it down and installing new asphalt is a great way to get it back into top shape. Here’s a guide on how to do it:
- Start by removing any debris or vegetation from the area. Adequate surface preparation ensures the new asphalt adheres properly.
- Use a jackhammer or asphalt saw to remove any old asphalt that needs to be replaced. You’ll also need to remove any loose gravel from the surface.
- Once the area is cleared, use a power broom to clean the surface and prepare it for asphalt application.
- Apply asphalt primer to the surface, then place new asphalt over the area using an asphalt spreader. Be sure to compact the asphalt properly with a tamper.
- Finally, apply a layer of fine sand over the new asphalt to improve traction and protect it from weather damage.
Sand application restores your driveway’s fresh appeal and extends its lifespan. By filling in surface imperfections and providing a protective layer, regular sanding can help asphalt last for many years.
Pavement surfaces can last much longer when they are regularly maintained. Sanding your asphalt is an easy way to keep it looking great and performing well for years to come. If you’re in the Fitchburg, WI area, be sure to give Doctor Asphalt LLC a call – the premier pavement contractors in town. We offer a wide range of services, including asphalt installation and maintenance.
Schedule a free quote from our team today.